Black and white details









 Engonopoulos Nikos
 ARCESILAUS

 he left
and I see him
going off
along
the deserted street
every so often he turns
and motions to us
with a slight movement of his eyelids
till
- little by little -
his wake
vanishes
fades
far into the horizon
he writes
in his letter - among other things -
that he likes
the
rain
"I'm Greek

- those are his words -
my mother and fatherland
is
the rain"
"when I'm caught in the rain
- he went on -
when I'm caught
stark naked
roaming the streets
I'm clothed
- by the rain -
in garments
of incredible resplendence
and variety
and as I proceed
it fashions a decor
and scenery
of mythical wealth"
now he returns to the "termina"
amid the bustle and music and joy of the masses
and he mixes
- becomes one -
with the crowd
and he feels
at times
like a king among his subjects
at others
- perhaps precisely the same moment -
like
an exiled ruler
among
foreign
- and unknown -
peoples



Translated by David Connolly


No comments:

...η μελέτη του σώματος δίνει την αίσθηση ανείπωτης περιπλοκής...
Φρ. Νιτσε