Womanish trees


Sahtouris Miltos poetry
When

When I close my eyes
my beloved starts out from faraway
she comes
and looks at me

(translation. Kimon Friar)



Sahtouris Miltos poetry
The gifts

Today I wore a
warm red blood
today men love me
a woman smiled at me
a girl gave me a seashell
a boy gave me a hammer

Today I kneel on the sidewalk
and nail the naked white feet of the passers-by
to the pavement tiles
they are all in tears
but no one is frightened
all remain in the places to which I had come in time
they are all in tears
but they gaze at the celestial advertisements
and at a beggar who sells hot cross buns
in the sky

Two men whisper
what is he doing  is he nailing our hearts?
yes he is nailing our hearts
well then he is a poet

 (translation. Kimon Friar)


 
Seferis Giorgos
Interval of joy

We were happy all that morning
O God how happy.
First the stones the leaves and the flowers shone
and then the sun
a huge sun all thorns but so very high in the heavens.
A nymph was gathering our cares and hanging them on the
   trees
a forest of Judas trees.
Cupids and satyrs were singing and playing
and rosy limbs could be glimpsed amid black laurel
the flesh of young children.
We were happy all that morning;
the abyss was a closed well
on which the tender foot of a young fawn stamped
do you remember its laughter:  how happy we were!
And then clouds rain and the damp earth;
you stopped laughing when you reclined in the hut,
and opened your large eyes and gazed
on the archangel wielding a fiery sword

"I cannot explain it," you said, "I cannot explain it,"
I find people impossible to understand
however much they may play with colors
they are all black.

(uknown translator)













Chionis Argyris
The wood was just right  

The wood was just right
for us to make a house or a boat
beautiful cypress wood, aromatic,
we made a boat and we disappeared

 (translation. Allegro Shartz & Nanos Valaoritis)



All translated poems are taken from this blog. http://poemsandpickaxes.blogspot.gr/

No comments:

...η μελέτη του σώματος δίνει την αίσθηση ανείπωτης περιπλοκής...
Φρ. Νιτσε